Mentor Forms Are Due by Thursday, March 31, 2017 at 11:59 pm
Mentors to SURF recepients are expected to perform the duties generally expected of research mentors, as well as:
- Allow SURF recepients to attend all mandatory SURF events (approximately once a week), and encourage attendance at optional events.
- Ensure that students spend 35 hours per week (350 hours total) on research and SURF activities.
- As appropriate, assist with preparation of a poster for the summer poster session.
- Approve the final report submitted by the student.
- Manage the research expenses budget for the student's project, requesting purchases as needed.
- Encourage the student to present at local and/or national venues, and to seek a SURF travel award for a national presentation.
Mentors are encouraged to provide feedback on student proposals, while ensuring that the final proposal remains primarily the student's own work. Mentors also need to complete the mentor form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To complete the mentor form, you will need a PDF reader that can save data to PDF forms. Examples of free programs to do this include Adobe Reader 11 or Adobe Reader DC and Foxit Reader.
Pease note that students participating in this program should not plan to take summer classes (including online courses) without first obtaining approval for each course from both the mentor and the SURF program director.